Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Gift Was Not Cheap!

"For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your forefathers, but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect." I Peter 1:18-19

I often wonder if we can ever really comprehend the price that was paid for our sins. I'm sure I will never be able to fully understand or appreciate the wholeness of this act...at least not while I'm on this earth. I often wonder how God would've been so freely giving of His own Son. As I look around my home this morning, I see three little faces staring back at me. I look at each precious face and see a picture of innocence reflecting back at me. I can never even begin to imagine sacrificing their lives for another. As a mother, I am too selfish to even consider that thought. How was God able to give the perfect gift?

Sometimes I am bothered by "Christians", including myself, who concern themselves with frivolous and worldly things. Here are just a few examples of things I've heard people:
-Should I tithe on my gross or net? I wouldn't want to give too much!
-Five dollars???....that is way too much for a spaghetti dinner that benefits the missions trip! I could make it for $1.
-What color should we paint the walls at church? I'm not coming back if my opinion doesn't count!
-What gimmick can we use to bring the flocks in with?
-I don't want anyone to be offended...I better not preach or teach that.
-Why can't I drink my coffee and play sports in the sanctuary?
-Traditional hymns in the worship service won't grow your church!
-We need to be more like a social club!

I could go on and on, but I'll spare you all. I just get so overwhelmed and quite honestly burdened for our world today. We as Christian have been given a guideline for holy living(BIBLE), but we are constantly trying to "fix" or improve upon what is already the perfect plan. What is there to fix? Is God's plan not perfect? Does it need repair from an imperfect, sinful world? I do not believe it does!! Why is it that we only want to "fix" or change the parts that make us feel uncomfortable? For example...person A thinks it's a sin that their neighbor lies all the time, but it's OK for person A to watch filth on TV...after all it's just entertainment and they've had a hard day and need to unwind.
"For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it." James 2:10
"You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things. Now we know that God's judgment against those who do such things is based on truth. So when you, a mere man, pass judgment on them and yet do the same things, do you think you will escape God's judgment?" Romans 2:1-3

I have felt convicted about this particular verse(James 2:10) for some time now. I try to be a "good" person, but that is not going to get me into Heaven. I am so thankful to be able to claim Christ as my Lord and Saviour. I know I have much improvements to work on, but I am thankful to have a guideline for holy living. I am also thankful for the Gift that was given for me! If we all just take a moment to think about the price that was paid for our sins...AMAZING!

"He said to me: It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life. He who overcomes will inherit all this, and I will be his God and he will be my son." Revelations 21:6-7

1 comment:

Greg & Stephanie said...

How insightful, Andrea. Thanks for some thought provoking words. Once I heard about a "saint" who griped because her she figured that some of her tithes went to help heat/cool the "school" end of the church. If only we as Christians would really become givers, rather than takers and whiners...the world would be a changed place, I imagine.