Thursday, August 14, 2008

A generation that seeks...

Recently I heard a story that I could hardly believe, but it is true. The #1 song in America is "I kissed a girl" by Katy Perry. This has been the #1 song for almost 8 weeks now, and the biggest fans are young preteen girls. The song lyrics include: "I kissed a girl and I liked it.....I kissed a girl just to try it...hope my boyfriend don't mind it". It is so sad that these lyrics are filtering into our community homes at a fast pace. Not only does this give the impression that homosexuality is ok, but also it's ok to have multiple relationships at one time. This singer's parents are both pastors, and are very upset and hurt by this genre of music their daughter has chosen. She was set to be a Christian singing star, but at 17 chose a different path.

I had heard about this story 2 weeks ago, and I have been bothered by it ever since. Last night was the kicker! Our church had an open swim night at the community pool, and we took our 3 neighbor kids along too. One of the girls mentioned that song to me and asked me if I knew it. I told her that I had just recently heard it on a news program. She asked me if I liked the song, which I responded NO. Both girls proceeded to tell me how much they love that song, and how it is so cool. These girls are 13 and 14 years old! I told them that I felt this song is not good, and that God did not intend for girl and girl or boy and boy to be together. I told them that God intended for 1 man and 1 woman to be united in a holy union. They laughed of course, and told me it was just a fun song.

This song is not just a FUN song with a catchy tune. This sinful lifestyle is being glamorized and put on a pedestal for our culture to accept with open arms. I'm sorry, but I have a big problem with that. We as Christians need to start stepping up and saying when things are not Godly. My boys are still young(7, 4, and 18 months), but I already am in constant prayer for their souls. Every time we walk out our door, the world is there to attack us with sin. Whether it be T.V., movies, checkout lines at the local market, billboards, store ads, stores themselves, music, schools, even some churches and the general public.
I really feel that I have had enough of this shoved in my family's face. We need to stand up and let our culture know that we started with a Godly foundation. We need to let our culture know that we still want that same foundation, not some Hollywood free for all nation.

Our future generations are at risk of being denied that Godly foundation that our nation was built on. We have not had T.V. service for 3 years now, and it has been the best decision we have ever made. When we did have, we only had the basic service(13 channels). Even with the basic service, our family was hit with violence, sexual immorality, strong language, and homosexual lifestyles. We decided that this was not what God wanted for our family. We still have a T.V. monitor and DVD player to watch what we choose for our family. Even children's movies are becoming unacceptable. Often we find bad language, sexual innuendo and the Lord's name taken in vain in G and PG rated movies. We are very picky about our family's entertainment, but we should be...right? I find that pluggedinonline.com is a helpful site for movie reviews.

Here is just a few places that I have found are not "for the family":
1. Wal-Mart video section...every image is completely visible in each aisle
(violence, nudity, and homosexuality)
2. Many "family" restaurants playing unacceptable music to dine by
3. Stores and restaurants-t.v.'s playing everywhere and music blaring
( I guess the old-fashioned family dinner...where you actually talk to
one another is becoming obsolete)
4. Billboards-images that God would not be pleased by
5. Check out lines-magazines(partial nudity and sexually charged articles)
6. Schools-what are the influences and pressures?
7. Churches-even some of our churches our riding the line between
Biblical truth and "making everyone feel good about themselves"

There are so many others, but I stop with those. If we do not take a stand, I'm afraid of what will continue to happen in our culture. "The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few" Matthew 9:37

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age" Matthew 28:18-20.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andrea,
Your comments brought tears to my eyes~ I am so thankful that there are young mothers like you that are determined to not let evil influences dominate their homes and the minds of their little ones. Protect them...they will live to bless you for it, and God will be honored by your actions. Doing what is right isn't always popular or easy, but it is well worth the cost! Keep up the good work. I am proud of you and Jeremy!
Aunt Ruth

Jen said...

Hey Andrea,

It is so good to see you and your beautiful family. Enjoyed reading and seeing your photo's. Your grandma Yount is so sweet and beautiful. I always thought so much of her. Keep in touch. Would love to hear from you.

Andrea said...

Batchelor,
What is your name?

Verla said...

Andrea,
I enjoy reading what you have to say and do. I have seen you a number of times when you came to Lima to church. It is so GREAT to hear of a mother taking her stand for what is right. Way to go there Mama. Keep up the good work and you will not be sorry. When I see your blogs I will send up a prayer for you.
I got a good laugh out of your Grandma Yount going into the place and getting directions. She did not stick out like a sore thumb but as a christian light in a darken place. There was a reason why she had to go into there other than asking directions. We will never know why.
Again keep up the good work.
Verla Skeen