Thursday, May 1, 2008

Upcoming event

So...just a quick blog, while the boys are eating breakfast(9:40am). I am looking forward to the upcoming CHAP homeschool convention next weekend. Every year they hold the Christian Homeschool Association of PA convention in Harrisburg, PA. This is a wonderful time to cruise the curriculum aisles and see all the wonderful Christian products out there. They also have seminars going on both days! They are very encouraging for homeschoolers and also Christians alike!
A few things I love about homeschooling:

1. You are home with your precious, gifts from God
2. You get to hear them read for the first time, and see the excitement in their eyes
3. You get to choose what influences they receive during the school day
4. You get to bow your heads and pray together
5. They learn even more about the precious and merciful love of Jesus
6. I could go on and on and on

This morning I was looking over the CHAP convention website for times, etc.. One of the speakers this year is a gentleman named Voddie Baucham Jr.. I'm looking forward to hearing him preach and speak throughout the convention. He has a website....www.voddiebaucham.org.. On his blog site, he has a blog titled...Barack Obama: A wolf in sheep's clothing. If you get a chance, please read the blog...it's not long. About a week and a half ago, Jeremy, the boys and I, met Barack and his wife in Philly. We were there for Jeremy's pesticide training, and also to try the famous cheesesteaks. All at once SUV's, police, and reporters came running by us. I knew someone had to be there(famous). I walked back up to Pat's Cheesesteaks, and sure enough Barack and his wife came around the corner. They came right up to me and talked to me and shook my hand. Interesting lunch, but I would've rather it been "Huck"...even McCain(although rather liberal)!!

Well I'll go for now. I promise pics within 48 hours. I need to call my cousin MAC(Stephanie) to learn how to post pics. Yes...I am behind times in some ways with the PC. I love my laptop...just need to learn how to use all the features!!!

Don't forget today's the National Day of Prayer!! We're going out to the park for the special services later!!! "Keep on praying." 1 Thessalonians 5:17 GO TEAM JESUS!!

4 comments:

Greg & Stephanie said...

I've been sent to tell you...you've been called to preach! :) Great post. I don't often make posts that discuss my passion for CHRISTIAN education because I have good friends/family who are choosing otherwise and I don't want them to feel like I am targeting them or anything...but, I totally agree with you. Many parents are very careful about their children's "out-of-school" hours, but send them into this environment for 30 hours a week, where they are, undoubtedly, influenced by secularism in a variety of ways. Greg delivers to several area schools, both rural and urban. Rural school: pulsing rock music blaring from the gym - p.e. time, but still...also, short, short skirts on the teachers...put your son in front of that six hours a day???? Urban schools: four letter words being tossed around in the halls, girls making suggestive statements to him as he enters a room to deliver product...etc. And you can't tell me this only happens around here!
I am proud of you for using your bright mind to teach the boys. Not every parent has the mental ability, patience, or discipline to be a homeschooler. You're doing a great job!!!

Adam & Val & Aubrey & Annie said...

I enjoyed reading your post. I agree with Steph! Anyway, I'm glad homeschooling is working out so well for you. It's great to see/hear of situations where it works! It makes me sick to see parents that just don't care and the kids learn nothing. Thankfully that isn't the majority!

I've only worked in a Christian school for 2 years, but I'm learning already that even in that environment, parents need to be very careful to train their kids the difference between right and wrong. I've been saddened to see what sorts of things go on in even Christian schools. I do realize though that just because it's called a Christian school doesn't mean that all of the students are Christian, or even come from Christian families. At the place where we are now, most of the students come from broken and unchristian homes. It's sad how little they know about God and how much they know about sex and other things. God help us to do our part...

Andrea said...

Hey MAC...I feel the same as you about others feelings. It is so hard to walk that fine line of convictions versus offending others. You know what I mean! :) Hopefully...must will know my heart. :) Luv ya!

Sarah said...

hey Andrea this is Sarah Kline. I saw your blog on mandy's page. I also like your post on homeschooling, I didn't even know...it's great. I come home in 25 days, KC is fine and dandy but I need some country air. See you soon